New Feature at CureTogether: Scores for Your Conditions
Ever wonder how you compare to other people with your condition? Are your symptoms worse than the average, or better?
Well, now you can find out.
We’ve just released a major update to CureTogether that gives you a score for each condition you reported and compares you to all other members with those conditions at CureTogether.
In the screenshot above, you can see that for each condition, there are two blue gradients. The one on the left indicates your severity score (how mild or severe your condition is), and the one on the right shows your percentile (how your score compares to other CureTogether members).
So for Depression, if you have a score of 65, that indicates a moderate severity, which is more severe than 89% of people at CureTogether with depression.
How are these scores calculated?
We put a lot of careful thought into how to score conditions, and while we won’t give away the specific algorithm, we do want to highlight some general principles to show the number of things that are factored in.
1. Your condition severity score is based on which symptoms you have and don’t have, and how you rate the symptoms you do have. Higher scores mean your condition is more severe, so you want to try and reduce your score over time.
2. The more symptoms you report having, the higher your score.
3. The higher severity rating you give each symptom, the higher your score.
4. Some symptoms count more than others – those that a higher percentage of people with the condition report (and those with higher average severity ratings) get more weight. So, for example, if you have a symptom that few others have, it counts less toward your condition score than if you have one that most others report.
5. If your score is below 33, it means you are more likely to say No than Yes to having a typical symptom for that condition (so you may want to look into alternate diagnoses).
6. The lowest score you can get, if you say No to having every symptom, is 0. The highest score, if you say Yes to every symptom and give them all “extreme” severity ratings, is 100.
There are other things factored in for dealing with cases where not all the survey questions have been answered and other situations, but this gives an idea of how scores are calculated (because we know our savvy readers will ask for details!)
Next up our sleeve is added functionality for longitudinally monitoring your condition severity and helping reduce your scores, which should be ready soon, so stay tuned.
Please login to CureTogether and let us know how you like the scoring system. We hope it helps you develop a better understanding of your health!